This page is managed by Sam's sister Trista...do not think that he is spending his mission Blogging :) He just has the best sister in the world!

Hope you enjoy reading...

I will copy and send all comments to Sam :)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

May 15, 2011


So I have no real idea of what to write about this week.  I just talked to my family, that was cool.  I guess my little brother turned into a lumberjack in the last year and a half and just everyone is growing up and moving to new parts of their lives.  It's weird to think that the world is going on without me as I am here in a totally different world wearing a name tag and talking to strangers.  More than once on my mission I've been called an alien.  One woman once even told me that she wouldn't mind if we abducted her and let her take a look around our ship...ha ha.  While we're all children of our Heavenly Father, it's interesting to see just how much people's views, backgrounds, and priorities vary.  "Now we have a world where people are confused"  I always thought that there was some wisdom in that Primary song, but I've never before realized just how true it is.  I hear wacky theories all the time.  There are so many different sources of ideas or "information" that there isn't much that is certain anymore.  I could spend a long time talking about all of the things that "educated people" or "scientists" (the word is the same in Russian) have "proved" that is complete nonsense.  There are so many voices, each saying something different, and the world doesn't know who to listen to. 

The scriptures mention that the Lord is the "source of all truth and righteousness."  We're even promised that "By the power of the Holy Ghost you may know the truth of all things."  This is one of the ways that Christ is the "rock" the "sure foundation upon which if men build they cannot fall."  We know the source of all truth, but do we seek it as we should?  I think that one of the most valuable things that I can teach people as a missionary is where to find truth and how to recognize it.  It's not a theory, and it's not magic: it's a skill that we must learn in order to draw nearer and become more like the Father who sent us here.  Of course it takes faith, obedience, study, and thought; but that is the pattern the Lord would have us follow.  Jesus Christ didn't spend the first 30 years of his life in Tibet learning yoga in a monastery like a woman told me recently that learned people said on TV. 

Can you imagine how hard it must be for people to live in a world of swirling "facts" that "scientists" have "proven" without the guiding words of the Lord through his prophets?  I'm glad that we don't have to face that confusion.  It's good to know that we can build on the rock of our Redeemer, and heed continuing revelation through living prophets.  So check your sources, and don't believe mumbo jumbo.  (I've missed words like mumbo jumbo)

 Well my time is up, so have a great week!  Love ya'll!

--
Elder Fife

No comments:

Post a Comment