This page is managed by Sam's sister Trista...do not think that he is spending his mission Blogging :) He just has the best sister in the world!

Hope you enjoy reading...

I will copy and send all comments to Sam :)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June 12, 2011


So at the first weekly planning of this transfer Elder Williams and I tried to find a direction for our city.  It seems like we're backed up against a wall, and we weren't sure what could get us out of it.  As we counseled together we felt like we should find a future Church leader in Artyom.  We titled him "Brother Brigham" and wrote out some of the characteristics that we expect him to have, and some that wouldn't be half bad.  We started asking other missionaries the mysterious question "Who is Brother Brigham?" and eventually explained to them what we meant by that.  So for almost a month now the hunt has been on.  We've invited more than 500 people to hear the message of the Restoration, and focused on those who seemed to us like they might be him.  Up until yesterday we hadn't had a single lesson with anyone who we had contacted or tracted into. 

Saturday a man that we had met earlier in the week called us, like he said he would, and wanted to meet up the next day.  I think that's the first time that has happened to me on my mission...I was just confused, but excited.  We didn't have a place we could meet, so we ended up on a bench around the place where we had met.  As we started talking he explained to us what he wanted our help for, something about getting a green card.  So we listened to him, asked lots of questions about him and his life, trying to just get to know him better and see how much potential he might have as an investigator.  As we sat there I got the impression several times "This is him!"  "You're sitting on a bench next to Brother Brigham!"  The more he told about himself the more convinced I became.   He doesn't drink or smoke, he's honest and seems like just an all around good man, he even does family history work!  At one point he got a phone call from his current business partner, and I turned to my companion and whispered "Is this Brother Brigham?"  His answer was something like "Absolutely, and I'm going to call him out on it."  I wasn't really sure what that meant, but the Spirit was incredibly strong. 

I've never told anyone before  "God has a work for you to do."  But that's what I felt like he needed to hear.  We explained to him how we had prayed and sought inspiration, and about the answer that we had received, and how we felt strongly that he had an important role to play in building the Kingdom of God.  His reaction surprised me.  "That means I should probably start going to Church, doesn't it?  What time do your meetings start?"  Then he asked "what do you want me to do?"  We gave him a Book of Mormon and told him he can start by reading that and praying so that the Lord will tell him that it's true, and then we'll talk a little later on this week. 

Now I don't know anyone's future and I can't see how they will react to the invitations that we as representatives of Jesus Christ give them, but I can say that the Spirit was incredible yesterday.  It was just miracle after miracle.  So did we find our mysterious Brother Brigham?  Only time will tell I guess.  But this I know.  God answers our prayers.  He directs his work, and will even show forth miracles when they are needed.  I've been reading about Ammon in the Book of Mormon the last few days.  He saw miracles too, and found a man who would become a key recent convert to bringing many souls to Christ; King Lamoni.  Because of his boldness, loyalty, faith, and sweat, he was able to touch many lives.  We might apply that a little better in our own lives every now and again. 

Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Fife

No comments:

Post a Comment