This page is managed by Sam's sister Trista...do not think that he is spending his mission Blogging :) He just has the best sister in the world!

Hope you enjoy reading...

I will copy and send all comments to Sam :)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Trust in the Lord

This week has been absolutely incredible.  I feel like in the last week I have finally become a missionary.  I am not really sure what it is, but something clicked this week and my missionary service is completely different.  I feel like I'm finally myself again.  I guess that for such a long time I've been waiting and watching, trying to understand the way things should be done in the Mission Field, and kind of holding back.  The thing I wish I would have just accepted and ran with 6 months ago is that I already learned 80% of what I need to know at Cedar Badge, and in SSE.  The Lord has been preparing me to be here for a very long time.  For the last several weeks, few transfers even, I've felt unsettled about several different things, I started making a list of the things that we do that I didn't see as in accordance with Preach My Gospel, the handbook for Missionaries.  I'd talked to a few other missionaries about some of the things that had been on my mind, but mostly they shushed me and told me to follow suit.  Two weeks ago I wrote my Mission President and told him a few of the things I'd been feeling and the changes I'd made in my own companionship to use the resources given to us better, and to more perfectly follow the counsel given in PMG.  When he wrote me back he said something that really touched me.  He said this: "You are right on target with some of the plans we have for zone conference.  When the Lord sends the same message to several people it is simply an added testimony that this is His work and he is leading it.  We need to become a PMG mission."  When we got to zone conference, basically each thing on my list of uneasiness was addressed and resolved.  The Lord really does send the same message to different people in order to confirm that this is His work, and that He is the one leading it.  Yet another part of my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and of the work in which I am engaged. 

As we've started to reevaluate the methods we're using and the way that we work under the guidance of the Holy Ghost we have started to see miracle after miracle in this area.  A member who hasn't been to church consistently in years, and at all in at least several months, has decided to come back and to obtain a temple recommend.  He came to Church this week wearing a suit and tie, and stayed for all three hours of meetings.  I've been trying to get him to come to Church for the last 3 months, but it isn't until we really start teaching with the Spirit and listening harder to what He says that we'll see success in the Lord's work.  When you have the Spirit with you, it will testify of who you are, and your divine calling from the Lord.  Lives will be touched and changed, and you will become a witness to the glory of God. 

We've had some incredible experiences this week with finding people to teach, but I (after having typed up one of the cooler ones) think that I am going to hold off sharing them until the story becomes more complete.  The lesson that I learned this week though, is this: when the Lord supports you in this work and His Spirit is about you, people will recognize you as His representative without you even having to say a word.  A few times this week men have stopped me as I walked and asked to be taught the Gospel.  Those who have served missions or are very familiar with this work know just how incredibly rare that is.  It happened a few times this week and each time the Spirit just reaffirmed to me the sacred calling which I have been given and the power of God which I hold.  Why did men find it impossible to disbelieve the words of Nephi? Because the Spirit affirmed in their hearts that his words were true.  It wasn't because he was a great speaker or a very convincing sophist, but because when the Holy Ghost testifies to your heart and to your soul the truth of the things you are hearing, there is no way you can deny it.  Do not deny the things of God. 

I absolutely know that this is God's work.  He has called me to serve in Vladivostok and has prepared me to meet and touch His children who are ready to accept the fullness of His gospel which has been restored to the Earth.  He is preparing the hearts of men to receive my words and to gain faith unto repentance in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Thomas S. Monson is a great man, and a prophet of the living God, but he does not lead this Church.  Jesus Christ is the head of His Church, and we are honored and privileged to bear His name and serve His children. 

Have a great 4th of July, and don't forget to appreciate the wonderful blessings that we have in the land of the free and the home of the brave.  Those words mean a lot more to me now than they ever have before.  May God's choicest blessings be upon each of you,

--
Elder Fife

1 comment:

  1. Your letter reminded me of this quote, "You don't have the power to make rainbows or waterfalls, sunsets or roses, but you do have the power to bless people by your words and smiles and your sincere interest in them. Think of it--you carry within you the power to make the world better for someone each day! That is standing as a witness of God." from Sharon G. Larson in the April 2000 conference. Keep it up! :D

    ReplyDelete